in material world ,how nector can make one immortal ?

Discuss about Srimad Bhagavatam.

in material world ,how nector can make one immortal ?

Postby npawar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:44 pm

IN bhagvatam ,churning of ocean chapter
how it is possible that by drinking nector people bacame immortal ,actuially i heard this ,pls explain .
material world everyones death is fix .
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण कृष्ण कृष्ण हरे हरे || हरे रामा हरे रामा रामा रामा हरे हरे||
npawar

Re: in material world ,how nector can make one immortal ?

Postby anandcaitanyadasa » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:03 pm

Question:
IN bhagvatam ,churning of ocean chapter
how it is possible that by drinking nector people bacame immortal ,actuially i heard this ,pls explain .
material world everyones death is fix .

Answer:
Please accept my humble obeisances.

It is written in scriptures that by drinking the nectar one becomes immortal. Also, demigods are sometimes addressed as immortals (or "amar"). But we also know that in this material world nobody can be immortal. Even the demigods have to face death one day. ("Abrahmabhuvanaallokaah punarravartinorjuna" - Bhagavad-gita)
So how to resolve this contradiction?

Well, the answer is that the demigods live for ten thousand celestial years. One celestial day is equal to six months on the earthly planets. So you can imagine how big the lifespan of ten thousand celestial years must be. By drinking the nectar also one can stretch his lifespan upto ten thousand celestial years.
So for human beings, who have meager 100 earthly years of lifespan, the demigods almost appear to be deathless or immortal. Therefore they are sometimes referred as "amar" or immortals according to human calculations.
You must have seen advertisements where they say "Lunch unlimited. Only Rs. 300". Actually, the food is always limited. However, compared to your capacity, the food offered to you can be called as "unlimited".
Similarly, the statement that "the nectar makes one immortal" is true just in a relative sense, not in an absolute sense.
On the absolute cosmic scale of time, however, the lifespan of a demigod or the lifespan achieved by drinking nectar is not even an eye-blink. So in true sense, nobody can be immortal in this material world by any endeavors.

To summarize, one can expand one's lifespan in this material world to unimaginable degrees by performing pious activities. However, that lifespan still remains insignificant when looked upon from cosmic scale. So no one can become immortal in this material world by any endeavors. Everyone has to face death and again take birth in this material world ("Abrahmabhuvanaallokaah punarravartinorjuna" - Bhagavad-gita), unless one perfects one's life by devotional service. ("Mam upetya tu kaunteya punar janma na vidyate" - Bhagavad-gita)

I hope this resolves your doubt.
anandcaitanyadasa

Return to Srimad Bhagavatam