Rising Early

Discuss Saadhana - Chanting, Sankirtan, Sravanam and so on.

Rising Early

Postby Jagannatha dasa » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:03 am

Hare Krishna dear devotees,

Please accept my humble obeisances.
All glories to Sri Guru and Gauranga!
All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Thank you for making this forum!

Is there any advice for devotees who live alone, and are trying to rise every day by 3:30am?

Also are there any words of wisdom for getting free from watching comedy videos? Please feel free to answer frankly, I know that purification can often be painful.

Your servant,
-Jagannatha dasa
Jagannatha dasa

Re: Rising Early

Postby gopinath » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Hare Krishna.

Please try to go to sleep early, say 9 o' clock if possible. Avoid the temptations of watching TV or reading newspaper or taking calls late night. Dine light and early so that you do not feel heavy in the morning and can easily get up. Be determined to chant most of the rounds in morning itself. That will serve as a good motivation for rising early. Read few pages of Bhagavatam (or BG or CC) before going to sleep to end the day in right consciousness. You will rise with the same consciousness.

Mundane comedy videos are very exciting and appear quite innocuous. However, know that such mundane shows (or novels, magazines, anything) are very harmful to our consciousness as it comes under the category of prajalpa which can destroy your spiritual progress. Maya will make us feel like, Oh. It is OK once in a while. What's a big deal? But that is the way Maya tricks us away from Krishna. Best remedy for such temptations is to find the eternal sublime humor in the pastimes of Krishna or Lord Chaitanya. (Param drishtva nivartate) One forgets the lower taste when he has the higher taste in Krishna's pastimes. There are many humorous pastimes in Krishna lila or CC if you have a keen eye (or ears rather). Like, Mahaprabhu's joking with Jagadananda Pandit, Nityananda's joking with Advaita Prabhu, Krishna's humor with Radharani and Gopis. This is transcendental comedy. Material comedy is just a reflection of it. The source is always in the spiritual world.
So two things.
1) Know the dangerous nature of mundane humor and
2) Take interest in transcendental humor in Krishna's lila/ Chaitanya's lila

I personally had this problem. Now I find the mundane comedy sitcoms and videos very boring. You can try this method as well.

Hari Bol.

Return to Saadhana