Should i change my material occupation for preaching

Discuss Preaching.

Should i change my material occupation for preaching

Postby deepak.mehdiratta108 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 pm

Please accept my humble obesciences,
All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Hare Krishna Prabhuji,

Prabhuji, i need your guidance in solving a question which is troubling my mind for long time.

I am working as a software developer in a company. My job includes sitting in front of a computer all day long and doing programming with little interactions with real human beings.
Due to this i have no social life and seems like a dumb man. And due to dealing with computer whole day i have become more like a emotionless robot. On Sundays sometimes i go out for assisting in temple preaching and book distribution. But due to poor social skills i feel bad and it affects my the preaching and it makes me think that
should i change my material profession to something like sales/marketing to become good at preaching.

Please tell me what is the qualification required for a person to become a good preacher and what should he do if he lacks in those qualities.

I am also unable to judge myself at this stage that whether i want to do preaching for the pleasure of Krishna or for the satisfaction of my false ego by thinking that i have become a good preacher and i can influence people.

Kindly guide me to fix myself nicely in Krishna consciousness.

Your Servant,

Deepak
deepak.mehdiratta108

Re: Should i change my material occupation for preaching

Postby mahesh » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 am

Hare Krishna,
Prabhuji, Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu says that in kaliyug nothing is more powerful than mahamantra; so if u chant it regularly without offence ; then nothing will over come u; nothing ...nothing....and nothing. then what to say about computer.. ? u plz do yr job as usual. and try to chant in brahmamuhurt. then u will surely feel difference. u can preach better. u can distribute books better. and i am sure that u can get blessing from Srila Prabhupada for all yr activity.

your servant,
Mrs.B.M.Purohit
mahesh

Postby deepak.mehdiratta108 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Thank you very much for your kind guidance. I am trying to follow your instructions. I have another doubt regarding this for which i am again seeking your guidance.

Sometimes just reverse happens of what i have mentioned and this is troubling me more than my previous problem.

Due to associating with devotees on weekends and doing service i am developing some skills like managing, preaching to mass people, fearlessness etc. After all this when i return to my job on Mondays i feel my job very dull and i feel like i should be doing something in which i could interact with people, do management, influence others etc. By the mercy of Krishna we develop good qualities in the association of devotees and so when i get surcharged by the lively association of devotees and next day go to my job, i see the dull faces of people around me and think that now i have the qualities which are required by leaders, marketing persons etc so i should change my job to that. So that i will not be doing very contrary things like working alone as an insignificant programmer on weekdays and doing preaching, managing etc on weekdays in temple. Because after doing preaching activities on weekends when i return to my job i get this feeling that now i can do big things, i can manage and i shouldn't be doing this insignificant job. And i understand that as years will pass by in Krishna consciousness i will be more engaged in preaching and other temple activities like the senior devotees in the temple. So i may develop this tendency of being considering myself an leader and would hanker for a similar job in my material occupation.

Sorry for taking your so much time and bothering you with this confusing post.

Your Servant,

Deepak
deepak.mehdiratta108

Postby mahesh » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:30 am

Hare Krishna prabhuji,
All glories to Srila Prabhupada. The transcendental mellow of Krishna consciousness is so sweet that all the other mellows seem to be bitter compared to it. Really, if you feel that you are tasting the association of devotees upto the fullest extent that means you have indeed tasted it. All of us reading this letter including myself are really happy to learn about your interest in KC. Sri Krishna says in the BG,".... mam anusmara yudhya ca...." the job which you have been doing is in one sense,'..yudhya.." on the battlefield of kurukshetra, when Sri Krishna instructed Arjuna, the latter had the "yudha" of killing so many persons. But Arjuna did it because Sri Krishna wanted him to. So in the same parampara our practice of Krishna consciousness is exactly the same: mam anusmara= chanting of the holy names and sadhusanga(which will ultimately bring us to the point of continuous smarana) where as, yudhya= our prescribed duties. Please don't think that i can't do this or i don't want to do that or i think i would be doing something.....if you are regularly associating with devotees once a week and chanting the holy names loudly then there is no doubt that you will soon overcome your problems about chosing a proper field for yourself. Of course, if you try to find a better field for yourself and take up new challenges it would be welcome by everyone around you- devotees and family.....but what until you do? Prabhu, everyone should take care of physical and mental health; we are not supposed to squeeze ourselves out....! Sri Krishna knows all about our abilities and everything else so a time will come He would give us another level of duties. So please continue with your wonderful spiritual activities and i am sure Srila Prabhupada's mission always welcomes every one and in particular, talented people like you.
Hope this helps you, and thank you for giving us a chance to serve you,
Mrs. B.M. Purohit.
mahesh

Return to Preaching