womens liberation

Discuss Grihastha Life.

womens liberation

Postby npawar » Thu May 27, 2010 1:41 pm

is it bad to give importance to son than daughter (specially people are not happy when they give birth to girl)?
what are duties of women in ISKCON and vedic culture?
why they are not allowed to work as free as men ?
what is best profession for them ?
can we allow them to WORK with males, if not why ,if yes what are the factors we have to consider ?
what if women goes for work, is their problem ?
why in all old culture women's are subordinate to males ?
I heard women's are less intelligent is it right ?
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण कृष्ण कृष्ण हरे हरे || हरे रामा हरे रामा रामा रामा हरे हरे||
npawar

Re: womens liberation

Postby KrishnaLady » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:29 am

npawar wrote:is it bad to give importance to son than daughter (specially people are not happy when they give birth to girl)?

My reply may not be only one. I've been a devotee in Iskcon long time. I can not speak from Hindu perspective, I can only speak from how it is in ISKCON.

In Iskcon it seems by nature men especially, are happy to have boy child, but if they get girl child, most are fine with it because Prabhupada has taught us that anyone born into the Hare Krishna movement is a rare soul, demi god in their last life. Ultimately girl or boy doesn't matter, if they are trained in Krishna consciouosness is most important. They took birth where they would be, nothing is by chance.

"what are duties of women in ISKCON and vedic culture?"

Such a big debate this has been, but Prabhupada's way was clear by example. If allowed I'll put a link below rather than go into great detail, which is required. If moderator disapproves, just remove link but hopefullyh leave my post?

"why they are not allowed to work as free as men ?"

In Prabhupada's iskcon they were, so that is all I know.

"what is best profession for them ?"

What is her natural propensity? Try to find that out, ask her what she likes. She is a devotee so there can be no job with meat eating etc, other than that, between the 2 of you, can talk it out and come to conclusions.

"can we allow them to WORK with males, if not why ,if yes what are the factors we have to consider ?"

Its best if there is no intermingling, though it seems for employment that is often difficult to achieve. At least she should be instructed to talk only for business purposes. Prabhupada said women may talk to menfor business or preaching purposes, thats all.

The reason "why" not to work or much association with men (or men with women) is the biologicl draw toward illicet falldown. However, if she is good devotee and you are, its not such a worry.

"what if women goes for work, is their problem ?"

Up to husband. If you are okay with it, and she wants to go to work, no problem.

"why in all old culture women's are subordinate to males ?"
I heard women's are less intelligent is it right ?[/quote]

For these last two, hard to explain in short post, see link:
http://womeninkrsnaconsciousness.blogsp ... sness.html
KrishnaLady

Postby npawar » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Hare Krishna,
pamho:agtsp;

Thank you very much.
i like the blog very much really it has clear my doubt.
i m also struggling to be K.C. this will help me lot.

Servent (trying to be),
np
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण कृष्ण कृष्ण हरे हरे || हरे रामा हरे रामा रामा रामा हरे हरे||
npawar

Postby Dasanudas » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Hare Krsna,

Dandavat Pranams.

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada!

All Glories to Sri Guru & Gaurango!

I really appreciate the discussion on the ever intruging topic of the status of women in our society.

is it bad to give importance to son than daughter (specially people are not happy when they give birth to girl)?

Firstly a direct answer the question raised by npawar Prabhu, Yes it is bad to give importance to son over daughter.

As you have rightly put it some people tend to be 'not very happy' over the birth of a girl-child. We can say that this is due to their ignorance and not having the right perspective in life.

I feel, the reason could be as such -
When a child is born, we start to think about the future -
On the birth itself our thoughts and anxities start to develop like the cobwebs on our mind. B.G. 2.14 "Matra sparsas tu kauntey sitosna sukha duhkha dah, agamapayino anityas tams titiksava bharata"

The difference is in our thoughts and our views about the child- Be it a girl-child or a boy-child
The upbringing of the child till marriage is not a question. The difference in our views start thereafter

Boy-child
(1) Wont be a Marriage liability (searching a match, the grooms party has an upper hand, or the dowry/ expenditure of marriage)
(2) The boy and wife will stay with us.
(3) In old age the boy and his wife will take care of us and support us.
(4) After death the boy will do 'pinda' or other rituals for us. The boy-child will carry the family name.

Girl-child
(1) Will be a marriage liability (searching a match, the brides party are at the receiving end, or the dowry to be given(or in sweet words, the extra ependiture on the brides part)
(2) After the girl-child is married, she will be gone. All our efforts in upbringing the child all gone, and we dont have anything of the child.
(3) In old age she will not be there to take care or support us.
(4) After death who will do the pinda or other rituals. Who will carry the family name.

These thoughts appear so lowly and so stupid.

These are such simple and basic things for us to understand. Even at a neophyte stage in K'Consc under the guidance of Srila Prabhupada and our Acharyas, with little intelligence one understands that these things are so superficial and gross('Jada'). We are spirit souls having a bodily experience. Very shortly we will be leaving this body and taking another one. 'E dhana, yaubana, putra, parijana ithe ki ache paratiti re' Song: Bhajahu Re Mana, by Govind dasa Kaviraja.

Anyone who is K'Consc is an assest not only to the family, but the whole society. Krsna is our care-taker and our support, always our protector. Death is our relief from this material body and its connections. B.G. 2.13 'Dehino asmin yatha dehe kaumaram yauvanam jara, tatha dehantara praptir dhiras tatra na muhyati." The real solution is K'Consc and chanting Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare.

As Krishnalady has rightly put it, its not chance, children in ISKCON are rare souls, may be demi-gods in last lives. Its our fortune.

So let us never inculcate our minds with such lowly stupid thoughts.

Please forgive my offenses and Please give me your blessings.

Hare Krsna.
Dasanudas

Postby KrishnaLady » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:07 am

npawar wrote:Hare Krishna,
pamho:agtsp;

Thank you very much.
i like the blog very much really it has clear my doubt.
i m also struggling to be K.C. this will help me lot.

Servent (trying to be),
np

Thanking you. Its helpful for me too as i type it, looking for quotes, etc, proof comes my way. Than onto the blog to spread the truth about Prabhupada and Krishna.
KrishnaLady

Postby KrishnaLady » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:36 am

Dasanudas wrote:Hare Krsna,

Dandavat Pranams.

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada!

All Glories to Sri Guru & Gaurango!

I really appreciate the discussion on the ever intruging topic of the status of women in our society.

Firstly a direct answer the question raised by npawar Prabhu, Yes it is bad to give importance to son over daughter.

As you have rightly put it some people tend to be 'not very happy' over the birth of a girl-child. We can say that this is due to their ignorance and not having the right perspective in life.

I feel, the reason could be as such -
When a child is born, we start to think about the future -
On the birth itself our thoughts and anxities start to develop like the cobwebs on our mind. B.G. 2.14 "Matra sparsas tu kauntey sitosna sukha duhkha dah, agamapayino anityas tams titiksava bharata"

The difference is in our thoughts and our views about the child- Be it a girl-child or a boy-child
The upbringing of the child till marriage is not a question. The difference in our views start thereafter

Boy-child
(1) Wont be a Marriage liability (searching a match, the grooms party has an upper hand, or the dowry/ expenditure of marriage)
(2) The boy and wife will stay with us.
(3) In old age the boy and his wife will take care of us and support us.
(4) After death the boy will do 'pinda' or other rituals for us. The boy-child will carry the family name.

Girl-child
(1) Will be a marriage liability (searching a match, the brides party are at the receiving end, or the dowry to be given(or in sweet words, the extra ependiture on the brides part)
(2) After the girl-child is married, she will be gone. All our efforts in upbringing the child all gone, and we dont have anything of the child.
(3) In old age she will not be there to take care or support us.
(4) After death who will do the pinda or other rituals. Who will carry the family name.

These thoughts appear so lowly and so stupid.

These are such simple and basic things for us to understand. Even at a neophyte stage in K'Consc under the guidance of Srila Prabhupada and our Acharyas, with little intelligence one understands that these things are so superficial and gross('Jada'). We are spirit souls having a bodily experience. Very shortly we will be leaving this body and taking another one. 'E dhana, yaubana, putra, parijana ithe ki ache paratiti re' Song: Bhajahu Re Mana, by Govind dasa Kaviraja.

Anyone who is K'Consc is an assest not only to the family, but the whole society. Krsna is our care-taker and our support, always our protector. Death is our relief from this material body and its connections. B.G. 2.13 'Dehino asmin yatha dehe kaumaram yauvanam jara, tatha dehantara praptir dhiras tatra na muhyati." The real solution is K'Consc and chanting Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare.

As Krishnalady has rightly put it, its not chance, children in ISKCON are rare souls, may be demi-gods in last lives. Its our fortune.

So let us never inculcate our minds with such lowly stupid thoughts.

Please forgive my offenses and Please give me your blessings.

Hare Krsna.

Thank you.

Interesting perspectives.

I have thought, one godsister, she has a son. Once he married and had a baby, he moved away. Other godsister, a daughter, two actually. They have stayed relatively close. Am sure there are opposite examples, just that in kali yuga, what use to be, sometimes for unbenowst reasons, is does not work out the way we expect. I think one reason might be practicality, maybe if girl marries local boy she stays, but also if son marries local women, he stays. Maybe in kali yuga its less about girl or boy chlid, and more who can stick around.
KrishnaLady

Return to Grihastha Life