Age-difference between the wife and husband.

Discuss Grihastha Life.

Age-difference between the wife and husband.

Postby admin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Q. What should be the age-difference between the wife and husband ?

A. Eight years, ten years difference is usual. That is healthy. But in no case, the girl must be older than the boy. That’s not good at all."
admin

Re: Age-difference between the wife and husband.

Postby saravanaruby » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:07 pm

Hare Krishna.

Just a query... Is it wrong for a elder wife?

[*]Mahatma Gandhi had his wife elder to him.
[*]Sports person Sachin Tendulkar's wife is elder to him.

Are they sinsters or like that?

Hari Bol
saravanaruby

Postby ys.deepak » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:18 pm

Why according to Hindu cultural(sanatana dharma ) there should be a difference in age of wife and husband ?, is there any particular reson for this.
ys.deepak

Postby moneygovindass » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:59 pm

HARE KRISHNA!
According to 4 varnashram. barhmcharya of man complete in a particuler age then he is ready for marrige and when masik-dharm start to girl then she ready for marrige, you see there is a age diff. for there conditions like girls is starting on in age 15or16 n man complt his barhmcharya in age greater then girl.
moneygovindass

Postby piyushps » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Hare Krishna,
The first logical point for husband being elder is that it is naturally easy to respect someone elder than you. If the wife is elder it may (perhaps) be tough for her to respect her husband.
Please forgive me if this is wrong, as this is my speculation only. And I would also like to know if there is some authentic information on this topic.
Your Aspiring Servant,
Piyush
piyushps

Postby konqueror » Mon May 11, 2009 4:21 am

Well,

We need to rewrite a manual for daivi-vedic varnashrama system. There was one such manifesto by some erstwhile maharaja, but didn't read it personally. As devotees of an advanced age of Kali, we transgress(or bypass with permission) many rules laid out for the vedic times. This is the reason for so many contradictions. One more example - previously, if a man is worldly, he is married to a beautiful lady who could satisfy his sensual desires. But does this not defy the numerous examples of lusty men becoming great devotees after marrying a devotee girl, especially in post-gauranga age?

According to vedic literature, husband is the bread-winner and the wife is the care-giver of the family. In corporate lives, where both husband and wife earn the bread and both take equal care of the family - who is husband and who is wife? With changing times, we need to change the rules. What matters is the spirit of sincerity.
konqueror

Postby npawar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:14 pm

wife age should not be more than husband age. it is told by authority (srilla prabhupada), means it is all ok *
====================================================
my own (not authinticate) speculative answers are as follows :

women grows older * faster than men w.r.t. body .then she starts blaming her self* or doubts husband weather he might go somewhere or fear to loose husbands attension because she wont look attractive.
this i have seen happening with one couple.

if you wants to know reason ,i know one couple like this they have problems because of their age gap.
and also i can also give you many examples of this.

womens doesn't like to deal with younger husband as a wife (it really lacks respect, manytimes her mind doesn't allow her to listen to husband)
you can take suggestions from womens if you have doubts they can tell you how they feel .

if it is avoidable it is very nice but :idea:

one more nice point , see if some one is already married or have relation with each other then they don't have to leave each other (second marriage is not allowed in kaliyuga when first wife is present specially in such condition ).after all we are souls existing from eternal time . as we progress in bhakti (pure devotional service)we definately are not body conscious.
we are krishna conscious. we don't look after sesnse gratification ,we try to gratify senses of krishna.

life is going to an end any time better to serve krishna & his devotees. because of such reasons we should not neglect & leave alone vaishnavas (mataji or prabhuji) ***********

our eternal relation is dasa dasa dasa nu dasa(servant of servant of servant ).
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण कृष्ण कृष्ण हरे हरे || हरे रामा हरे रामा रामा रामा हरे हरे||
npawar

Postby Mahesh Kumar Gandhi » Sat May 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Hare Krishna !
As far as my knowledge goes there is nothing much written about the age difference between husband and wife. Time has created its own rules as per convenience of the society. It seems younger wife is required because she can serve husband till death. In my opinion there should not be much difference of years between H & W . May be upto a year's difference is tolerable. This give them a fully matured attitude and both can lead their family very well and smoothly. If there is 7 to 8 years difference wife will not be mature enough to handle difficult situations of married life. Bal Vivah Pratha was very good in my view at that time when human morale was at the highest peak. It had more advantages in creating good married couples. Well that is a different topic.
Our society is male predominant, and as such controls are in husband's hands, or it seems so. Wives have there own means to gain control over husbands.
There hould not be much age difference between husband and wife to create good mature relatuion amongst them.
Mahesh Kumar Gandhi

Return to Grihastha Life