Does Lord Shankar die?

Discuss General Topics - Anything and Everything.

Does Lord Shankar die?

Postby sushant » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Hare Krishna,

From Srimad Bhagawatam, canto 3

SB 3.12.6: On the refusal of the sons to obey the order of their father, there was much anger generated in the mind of Brahmā, which he tried to control and not express.

SB 3.12.7: Although he tried to curb his anger, it came out from between his eyebrows, and a child mixed blue and red was immediately generated.

SB 3.12.8: After his birth he began to cry: O destiny maker, teacher of the universe, kindly designate my name and place.

SB 3.12.9: The all-powerful Brahmā, who was born from the lotus flower, pacified the boy with gentle words, accepting his request, and said: Do not cry. I shall certainly do as you desire.

SB 3.12.10: Thereafter Brahmā said: O chief of the demigods, you shall be called by the name Rudra by all people because you have so anxiously cried.

SB 3.12.11: My dear boy, I have already selected the following places for your residence: the heart, the senses, the air of life, the sky, the air, the fire, the water, the earth, the sun, the moon and austerity.

SB 3.12.12: Lord Brahmā said: My dear boy Rudra, you have eleven other names: Manyu, Manu, Mahinasa, Mahān, Śiva, Ṛtadhvaja, Ugraretā, Bhava, Kāla, Vāmadeva and Dhṛtavrata.

SB 3.12.13: O Rudra, you also have eleven wives, called the Rudrāṇīs, and they are as follows: Dhī, Dhṛti, Rasalā, Umā, Niyut, Sarpi, Ilā, Ambikā, Irāvatī, Svadhā and Dīkṣā.

From above verses, we come to know that Rudra was born from Bramha.

My questions:

1. Is Rudra born from Bramha Lord Shankar or Rudra is different demigod?
2. Just like Bramhaji die after 100 years, does lord Shankarji die?
3. if yes, can you provide the vedic reference?
4. Also where does it mention that Lord Shankar is GOD, because Krishna mentiones in Srimad BhagawadGita that He is Supreme God, then why in India many think that Shankarji is Supreme God? Is it mentioned somewhere in scriptures?

Hare Krishna, Hari Bol
Your servant
sushant

Re: Does Lord Shankar die?

Postby sushant » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Hare Krishna,

Anyone, please respond to my query.

Hare Krishna, Hari Bol
Your servant
sushant

Re: Does Lord Shankar die?

Postby anuj0ue » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Ans. 1 He is the same Lord Siva.
Ans 2. Lord Siva is eternal. He may have appearance and disappearance from our sight just as Visnu appears or disappears from our sight, but He has eternal existence as the same Lord Siva
Ans 3 & Ans 4 Scriptures like Brahma Samhita describe the relationship between Lord Siva and Lord Visnu as that of curd and milk respectively. Lord Siva is almost as powerful as Lord Visnu, but Visnu is the source of Siva and not otherwise. Plus as mentioned in scriptures, Lord Siva has 55 qualities and Lord Visnu has all them in much more degree plus 5 additional qualities which are not found in Lord Siva.
People generally worship Lord Siva because he is Ashutosh - he gets satisfied very easily and grant material benedictions. So people worship him. And that is the reason many demons worshipped him to get material boons.
The real position of Lord Siva is described in Bhagavatam as the greatest devotee of Lord Visnu - vaisnavam yatha shambhu.
anuj0ue

Return to General Discussions