How can soul be punished?

Discuss about the infinitesimal

How can soul be punished?

Postby diyaashish » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:32 am

HARE KRISHNA!!
All glories to Srila Prabhupad.
Please accept my humble obeisances.
First I would apologize for asking such a silly question.I am a bit confused about the concept of Narka after reading the qualities of soul mentioned in B.G 2.23 and other shlokas.
It is mentioned in 2.23 that
"The soul can never be cut to pieces by any weapon,nor burned by fire,nor moistened by water, nor withered by the wind."
This has left me wondering that if soul cannot be hurt in anyway then how can it get punished in Narak by boiling in hot oil,or by piercing with hot rods, etc. as i have heard in one of the lectures.
And also if the soul is eternal then does it feels pain aur happiness under different circumstances after it has left the material body?
Kindly answer my query if it is worth answering.And kindly bless me so that I can overcome my ignorance and understand the words of Lord written in B.G.
Haribol.
diyaashish

Re: How can soul be punished?

Postby Dasanudas » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:32 am

Hare Krsna,

Dandavat pranams. Please accept my humble obesiences.

I really appreciate your wonderful pondering. I appreciate the depth of your thoughts.

Nainam chindanti sastrani
nainam dahati pavakah
na cainam kledayanty apo
na sosayati marutah. (B.G 2.23)

The soul cannot be cut by weapons, nor burt by fire, nor moistened by water or dried by wind.

The soul cannot be punished. But when the soul leaves the material body, it carries along with it the subtle body (mind, intelligence and false ego). The soul is dragged out of the material body, it is accompanied by the suble body. Since one associates oneself with the material elements, the soul feels the pain and the sufferings. It is taken to the suitable place of punishment(Narak), where it is suitably given treatment to be accept the next body. This is the punishment. So it feels the pain and the happiness under various circumstances after it has left this gross body.

If ones soul is out of duality of the material nature, that is it does not identify with this material body (gross + subtle body), then its free and does not experience any pain and happiness in any cirumstances.

Please forgive my offenses and Please Bless me.

In your service...

Hare Krsna.
Dasanudas

Return to Soul