deities damaged in house fire

deities damaged in house fire

Postby bhaktin carol » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:26 am

Hare Krsna.

A devotee asked me to take care of Gaura Nitai deities that have been physically damaged in a house fire. I think he wanted me to find a river to put them in. Can they still be worshiped? How should they be treated? Both figures are broken at the feet with lowest parts of the legs missing, and are otherwise intact.

thank you.
bhaktin carol
bhaktin carol

Re: deities damaged in house fire

Postby vgopikrishna » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Hare Krishna.

We forwarded this question about damaged deities to HG Hari Sauri Prabhu and here is what he had to say:

I am certainly no expert on these matters. However I do know that in cases where some slight damage was done to a set of Deities, Srila Prabhupada still allowed them to be worshipped. If the damage is significant though, in the case of an already installed Deity, They should be replaced with new ones. We had to do that in Mayapur with the original Radha Madhava after They were kidnapped by dacoits. Later when They were recovered, Radharani was badly damaged and both Deities were replaced.

The case cited below with the feet missing definitely warrants the Deities being replaced. These damaged ones cannot be worshipped anymore and they should be wrapped and put in either a deep river or the ocean.

We are extremely thankful to Hari Sauri Prabhu for his guidance on this subject.

All glories to Srila Prabhupada.
vgopikrishna

Return to Deity Worship