mantras for offering

mantras for offering

Postby mpdasa » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:45 pm

I read in manual that mantras for offering flowers for the Deities are idam puspam (for one flower) and etani puspani (for many). I saw only two options. But I have serious doubt about this. I study sanskrit. Sanskrit as opposed to English, russian and other languages has three (not two as usual) numbers, namely singular, plural and DUAL! There difference in sanskrit when we say one thing, two things and three things (it's an exceptionality of this language). So this is incorrect to say etani puspani while offering only two flowers (you declare for Deities that you offer strictly two flowers (not 1 or 3 and more). I think it should be ete puspe.

Ys, Mandala Pati dasa
mpdasa

Re: mantras for offering

Postby ganeshs » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:58 am

Hare Krishna Prabhuji1
Please accept my humble obeisances!

As you are saying, DUAL is the special of the Sanskrit. But it does not appropriately fit for this situation. Here two flowers or many flowers both are many only.
In the following it makes difference.
A person had two wives & A person had many wives - has a huge variation in meaning.
kāntāyās(singular)
kāntayos(DUAL)
kāntānām (Plural)
But in case of flowers it does not make too much difference. DUAL is a special capability of Sanskrit but not necessarily in this case.

your servant,
ganesh
ganeshs

Return to Deity Worship