Medicine on Ekadhashi Day

All about Ekadashi

Medicine on Ekadhashi Day

Postby krishna108 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:28 pm

Hare Krishna Dear Devotees
Dandavat Pranaam

I am recently facing a dilemma w.r.t observance of Ekadashi fast. I am on medication for thyroid problem and supposed to take medicine every day without fail. I have heard different opinions reg. medicine's -some say it is okay to take medication while others say try to avoid as a part of austerity.

Are there any set guidelines w.r.t this matter? Plzzzzz guide me in this matter

Can someone plz share their experiences in such a case? I am sure it will benefit a lot of people..
krishna108

Re: Medicine on Ekadhashi Day

Postby dasofmaya » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:26 am

Sorry too late

Take the medicine. If you are up and alive, you can chant. With thyroid you can't. By now you must be OK
dasofmaya

Postby vgopikrishna » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:33 pm

[We asked this question to HG Hari Sauri Prabhu and HG Ajamila Prabhu both disciples of Srila Prabhupada and they graciously took time out from their busy lives and provided the below answers for the benefit of all Vaishnavas. -- Moderator]

According to the Haribhakti Vilasa, fasting can be foregone in the case of the very young (upto 8 yrs. old) and the very old as well as anyone who is suffering from disease. For these categories it is not compulsory.

Under 8 and over 80 are exempt from having to do nirjala which is the actual standard. Grains cannot be taken by anyone at any age unless it is a genuine emergency.

HBV states that medicine does not break a fast, nor does fruits and anukalpa. But grains cannot be taken, unless it a case of life or death.

One family member or even friend can offer the result of his fast to another who is unable and the receiver gets the full benefit and the giver gets 100 times the benefit of love for Krishna!!

So if one is regularly sick then get another devotee to offer the result of his or her fast. This is not an exageration but stated clearly by Sanatana Goswami in Sri HBV. I have all the references.

I always offer my Ekadasi fast first to Srila Prabhupada then sometimes to my son, wife, of suffering Vaisnava friend. In this way we can help each other in developing love for Krishna on Ekadasi which is said to be a powerful day in developing our love for Lord Sri Krishna!!

For a genuine preaching emergency one can take even meat or take grains on Ekadasi. If one is sick then one has to adjust things accordingly with the above guidelines.

Ajamila Prabhu: One thing that works for me is that on the day before Ekadasi in the afternoon around 5 pm I take a little greek yogurt and natural honey. This creates a lining on the stomach so that during the fast the next day I get hardly any unbearable disturbance. But it may not work for others, but you can give it a try.

Another good tip, that is backed by sastra, is that the BASIC Ekadasi fast goes from Sunrise to Sunrise. There is another HIGHER level where one does not take grains the day before or the day after and on the Ekadasi it is complete nirjala.

But if you follow the 'basic standard' you can in fact drink water BEFORE sunrise because the fast has not officially started at that timne. If you are sick you could even take a meal before Sunrise and try to fast from there till the next Sunrise. I'm not recommending this for healthy people, but it is within the basic level.

The point here is that there are different levels of Ekadasi observance in order to increase one's love for Krishna.

It can also be concluded that Srila Prabhupada gave preference to preaching over not the basic Ekadasi observance but at least the strict Ekadasi observance.

So if your body really can't go without grains for one day then it can be safely concluded that you will be protected by Srila Prabhupada IF you do some solid preaching on Ekadasi to counter the inauspiciousness of taking grains on Ekadasi.

When the holy day of Ekadasi first appeared, personified sin had no place to stay because the Ekadasi day is completely pure. After pleading for a place to stay, the Supreme Lord allotted 'food grains' as the residence for the papa-purush on Ekadasi.

Thats why the sastras state that if one takes grains on EKadasi there is no sin in the universe one has not committed.... and this is very obstructive for one who wishes to develop love for Krishna.

So if one is genuinely sick and cannot live without grains then by doing some solid preaching, as per the mood of Srila Prabhupada, one will certainly be protected from the sinful reaction of breaking Ekadasi by serving Srila Prabhupada's mission. If a devotee takes grains on Ekadasi and does not do substantial preaching then he/she will not be protected.

I always offer my Ekadasi fast to another devotee who is struggling in this respect. But this is never done in exchange for money, the sastra forbids it. So if you can find another willing devotee friend or relative to assist you in this repsect then both get closer to Krishna without having to face unwanted obstacles. Or in the absence of someone to assist you then take grains and do some solid preaching. If after taking grains on Ekadasi in order to keep your self alive and you still can't preach because of disability then one can simply 'meditate' on preaching all over the world like Srila Prabhupada did and that meditation will purify the situation. Just as the meditating Brahmin burnt his finger in the hot sweet rice, so meditating on preaching is purifying and gives the FULL result, as stated in Srimad Bhagavatam, that in this age no reaction is incurred for thinking of sinful acts but the full results are obtained for one who meditates on pious acts, and the highest punya is preaching on behalf of Srila Prabhupada.

Sincerity of purpose in situations like these is paramount. Even though one is unable to do what Krishna and the spiritual master wants if one sincerely desires to please Them then such a sincere meditation will purify the situation and eventually become a reality by the arrangement and causeless mercy of the Lord.
vgopikrishna

Postby krishna108 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:58 pm

Hare Krishna Prabhuji,
Dandavat Pranaam,All Glories To Srila Prabhupada

Thank you very much for your kind consideration to answer this query and for the comprehensive answer.it was well worth the wait. Dandavats and many thanks to HG Hari Sauri Prabhu and HG Ajamila Prabhu for taking time to guide neophytes like me.Jai !!

YS
krishna108

Postby krishna108 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:02 am

dasofmaya wrote:Sorry too late- sorry for my late reply too..

Take the medicine. If you are up and alive, you can chant. With thyroid you can't. By now you must be OK
By the mercy of Radharani I am feeling much better now and am able to manage without tablet on Ekadashi day.If i dnt feel very good-i try to take the tablet before sunrise.thank you so much for understanding my situation and your concern :)
krishna108

Return to Ekadashi