Problem of Evil

Daily Question and Answer.

Problem of Evil

Postby backtohome » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:26 am

Question: Problem of Evil

Hare Krishna.
All glories to Srila Prabhupada.
Please accept my humble obeisances.

Guru Maharaja, I've often heard about the "problem of evil" put forward by many philosophers, which still baffles all (especially in cases of natural disasters causing mass scale destruction of life and property).

The argument consists of the incompatibility of the three points they put forward:
1.) God is perfectly good (all loving)
2.) God is all powerful (omnipotent)
3.) Evil exists

Their point of contention is that why doesn't God stop all evil when He's all-powerful and perfectly good. This means that evil exists with the permission of God. Why does God allow so many people to suffer? Why does evil exist in a world created by God?

I humbly request you to kindly enlighten me in this regard. I've read some explanations by various great people but am still unconvinced about it. I've eager to know your answer and solution. Thank you very much.

Sincerely yours,

Madhav

Answer: God Did Not Create Evil. We Did.

The simple answer is that evil is created by us when we refuse to serve the all-powerful, all-merciful Lord. Therefore Krishna personally repeatedly comes and He also repeatedly sends His pure devotees to this world to save us from the evil we have created by convincing us to give up our evil misuse of independence and once again engage in His service as we did originally before we fell into Maya or illusion.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari
"Thought for the Day" is the daily inspirational message of the Ultimate Self Realization Course(TM) broadcast daily to thousands of subscribers throughout the world. You can subscribe by visiting http://www.backtohome.com/
backtohome

Return to Question For The Day