"Now" Consciousness and Devotional Service

Daily Question and Answer.

"Now" Consciousness and Devotional Service

Postby backtohome » Wed May 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Question: "Now" Consciousness and Devotional Service

In my search for Absolute Truth, I came across "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It was actually his book which first introduced me to the Bhagavad-gita, as it was referenced several times as something which must be read.

Before I began reading the Gita, I was attempting to practice a constant awareness of the present moment as described in the E. Tolle book.

My question is this: How similar is this type of awareness, of the present moment, similar to what is taught in the Gita? Although it is only a very small fragment of what I've been reading in the Gita, it seems I have at least been on a right track. Is there any similarity?

Thanks,

Julianne

Answer: Devotional Service is Beyond the Now.

Focusing on the present is a good starting point, but it is not the final destination because the "now" is still within the confines of time and space. It is only when we completely transcend time and space as described in the Bhagavad-gita that we truly attain the liberated platform, the transcendental platform.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari
"Thought for the Day" is the daily inspirational message of the Ultimate Self Realization Course(TM) broadcast daily to thousands of subscribers throughout the world. You can subscribe by visiting http://www.backtohome.com/
backtohome

Return to Question For The Day