Should I Seek or Wait for a Guru?

Daily Question and Answer.

Should I Seek or Wait for a Guru?

Postby backtohome » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 am

Question: Should I Seek or Wait for a Guru?

Dear Sir:

I am sympathetic to the Krishna consciousness movement for about eight years, and though I have found some advanced devotees, I have been unable to find my spiritual master. How should I proceed? Should I actively seek a spiritual master or should I simply for ask Krishna to send him to me? I am wondering this because it is said that when the student is ready the spiritual master appears.

Respectfully

Carlos

Answer: The Bhagavatam Says to Seek a Guru

The best thing is that you should actively seek a spiritual master with great enthusiasm. This is recommendation is given as follows in the Srimad Bhagavatam:

tasmād guruṁ prapadyeta
jijńāsuḥ śreya uttamam
śābde pare ca niṣṇātaṁ
brahmaṇy upaśamāśrayam

"Any person who seriously desires real happiness must seek a bona fide spiritual master and take shelter of him by initiation. The qualification of the bona fide guru is that he has realized the conclusions of the scriptures by deliberation and is able to convince others of these conclusions. Such great personalities, who have taken shelter of the Supreme Godhead, leaving aside all material considerations, should be understood to be bona fide spiritual masters."
--SB 11.3.21

If you will sincerely follow the advice given in this verse, Krishna will reciprocate with your sincerity and make it perfectly clear to you who should be your spiritual master.

Sankarshan Das Adhikari
"Thought for the Day" is the daily inspirational message of the Ultimate Self Realization Course(TM) broadcast daily to thousands of subscribers throughout the world. You can subscribe by visiting http://www.backtohome.com/
backtohome

Return to Question For The Day