Prabhupadas preaching

Discuss about ISKSCON's Founder Acharya - His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada.

Prabhupadas preaching

Postby sdgonline » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:41 pm

Letter from Prabhupada:
14th September, 1969
My Dear Satsvarupa,
Please accept my blessings. I am in due receipt of your letter dated September 9th, 1969, addressed to the Hamburg center. Now I have come to England. Our temple here is not yet finished, so I am staying in the house of Mr. John Lennon. He is very much kind upon us. Here also there is a nice big hall, exactly suitable for a temple, and the devotees are enjoying the opportunity by chanting there twice, thrice daily. I have also begun to give lectures here on specific days, but there are no outsiders coming. I have arrived here on the 11th September at about 2:30, and the devotees arranged for a very nice reception in the airport. There was chanting, press interviews, and nice press reports have come out with excellent pictures. Some of them are enclosed herewith for your reference. The first meeting organized by the devotees here will be held in the Town Hall tomorrow in the evening. So let us see how we can establish Krishna Consciousness in this part of the world.[...]
Your ever well-wisher,
A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami
P.S. I am in due receipt of Giriraj's letter, sent along with $30 for the maintenance fund. Please thank him for this.

Although young people today have practically never heard of the Beatles, "Beatlemania" was a worldwide phenomenon in the 1960s and 1970s. Therefore, it was exciting to hear that Prabhupada was staying with John Lennon. The devotees in Los Angeles even circulated a pamphlet advertising that Prabhupada was giving bhakti-yoga lessons to the Beatles, although when Prabhupada saw it, he told them to withdraw it since it wasn't true. He didn't want the devotees to fabricate anything about his relationship with the Beatles.

We also received a tape in the mail-not a studio recording, but a kirtana in which George Harrison was leading the devotees. It was wonderful to have that tape. I remember telling the Sunday feast congregation-mostly young people-that Prabhupada was staying with the Beatles and as a special treat, I would play this tape of George Harrison leading kirtana. It was great to capture their interest with such news. They all listened as I played the tape and it was a hit.

Later we understood that Prabhupada didn't like staying at John Lennon's house. His comment, "No outsiders are coming," is an indication that Prabhupada didn't lose his bearings while he was staying there. He wasn't overcome by their wealth or their fame. He also didn't like to live with people who were engaged in such illicit activities, and he didn't like their attitude toward the devotees. It seemed as if John Lennon was hiring them to work. They gave Prabhupada the servant's quarters, which were not the best accommodations, instead of a place in the main house. Eventually, the devotees managed to prepare their new temple at Bury Place and Prabhupada moved back to London.

Prabhupada accompanied his letter with clippings from the newspaper. He was obviously pleased with the reception he had received from the press, although the European press and the American press had a similar estimation of the devotees. Prabhupada saw such newspaper clippings as good preaching tools. When he had received his first big press coverage upon his arrival in San Francisco ("Swami in Hippie Land"), Prabhupada had instructed us to make a thousand copies for distribution. This time he arranged that himself, but he sent us one copy to relish just as a father would share his success with his children.
The newspaper clipping showed an unusually large photo of Prabhupada playing karatalas upon his arrival. Although the newspaper did such a large spread, however, there were no follow-up visits from the press. The article had some tongue-in-cheek humor, some sarcasm, a collection of mundane comments, and not much more. The only saving grace was that they had quoted some of the things he had said.

It was interesting to get this letter and to hear from Prabhupada about his attempt to preach in another part of the world. It sounded almost exotic to us because we were so caught up in our affairs in Boston. Our main meditation upon reading his letter was when he would come to Boston. We weren't absorbed in the idea that Krsna consciousness should be spread all over the world, although we were aware that this was Prabhupada's mission. We mostly concentrated on our own little corner of that mission. And we had just finished dealing with the court case. Prabhupada mentions in this letter that he thought the judge had made an intelligent decision. Then he says, "We have to work sincerely, and because Krishna is in everyone's heart, there will be no difficulty to have the necessary facilities."
sdgonline

Re: Prabhupadas preaching

Postby sdgonline » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:21 am

Prabhupada seemed to be easily pleased. There are countless letters and statements wherein he expresses his satisfaction with the offerings of his disciples. He was pleased, for example, with book distribution, with preaching, with temples opening, with disciples executing nice Deity worship. He was pleased by the artists, pleased that a husband and wife were cooperatively preaching, pleased that someone was trying to understand the guru-disciple relationship, and pleased that disciples were trying to serve with body, mind, and words.
sdgonline

Re: Prabhupadas preaching

Postby sdgonline » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:52 am

Yesterday I heard a lecture that Prabhupada gave on November 6, 1972, in Vrndavana. He said it is very difficult to find out mumuksava, one desiring liberation. The heads of education and national leaders don’t know the object of life. Prabhupada said that in 1951, he spoke in Jhansi on Gandhi’s appearance day. He was asked to speak on the topic of violence. He said, “If someone checks me by force from my rights, that is violence.” In Bharata-varsa, by nature, people are God conscious. Even a poor man is satisfied and is God conscious. Canaka Pundita was the advisor of the prime minister, but he lived in a cottage. Vyasadeva was a great scholar who wrote Srimad-Bhagavatam, but he also lived in a cottage. So in that meeting in Jhansi, Prabhupada said, “You are by force dragging them to the materialistic way of life. This is violence.”

People are being killed by blind leaders. Narottama dasa Thakura sang, “I have wasted my life not worshiping Radha and Krishna.” The human form of life is meant for understanding Krishna. The world is being spoiled. By understanding Krishna, people become liberated, but people do not know. They are thinking of liberation in political terms. They are thinking of liberation from Britain. Prabhupada said that before independence from Britain, at least people were free to move out of the country, but he had to undergo much difficulty to get out of India. By getting out, he was able to spread the Krishna conscious movement around the world. Lord Caitanya said that everyone born in India must make his life successful with spiritual knowledge and give it to others. People are so misguided that they don’t have an idea of liberation. If one is serious about getting out of the darkness, his duty is to worship Krishna. Those who are actually desiring liberation are intelligent, but most people don’t know. They think, “I am enjoying this life,” but they may become a dog in their next life. No university teaches transmigration of the soul. There is a great need of Krishna consciousness. There is no need to make Christians into Hindus. The need is to know what is God. It is a science.
sdgonline

Return to Srila Prabhupada