differences in Karmayoga,Jgnana yoga,dyanaYoga,& Bhaktiyoga

Discuss about Bhagavad Gita.

differences in Karmayoga,Jgnana yoga,dyanaYoga,& Bhaktiyoga

Postby Goverdhan.P » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Hare Krsna,
Please accept my humble obesciences,
I want to know differences in Karmayoga,Jgnana yoga,dyanaYoga,& Bhaktiyoga, in short. Plz Any one can explain me.
Thanking you...
Goverdhan.P
Goverdhan.P

Re: differences in Karmayoga,Jgnana yoga,dyanaYoga,& Bhaktiyoga

Postby gopinath » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:58 pm

Hare Krishna.
Srila Prabhupad clearly defines karma-yoga, jgnana-yoga and bhakti-yoga in his purports to Bhagavad-gita chapter 10, verse 10 as follows.
"One should know that the goal is Kṛṣṇa, and when the goal is assigned, then the path is slowly but progressively traversed, and the ultimate goal is achieved.

When a person knows the goal of life but is addicted to the fruits of activities, he is acting in karma-yoga. When he knows that the goal is Kṛṣṇa but he takes pleasure in mental speculations to understand Kṛṣṇa, he is acting in jñāna-yoga. And when he knows the goal and seeks Kṛṣṇa completely in Kṛṣṇa consciousness and devotional service, he is acting in bhakti-yoga, or buddhi-yoga, which is the complete yoga. This complete yoga is the highest perfectional stage of life."
So this clearly defines karma-yoga, jgnana-yoga and bhakti-yoga (or buddhi-yoga).

There is another process of attaining Krishna, which is a very difficult process called dhyana yoga (or ashtanga-yoga). Dhyana yoga must be practiced in following manner.
"BG 6.11-12: To practice yoga, one should go to a secluded place and should lay kuśa grass on the ground and then cover it with a deerskin and a soft cloth. The seat should be neither too high nor too low and should be situated in a sacred place. The yogī should then sit on it very firmly and practice yoga to purify the heart by controlling his mind, senses and activities and fixing the mind on one point.

BG 6.13-14: One should hold one's body, neck and head erect in a straight line and stare steadily at the tip of the nose. Thus, with an unagitated, subdued mind, devoid of fear, completely free from * life, one should meditate upon Me within the heart and make Me the ultimate goal of life."

As we can see clearly from the above description that it is almost impractical to practice this kind of yoga in this modern age, where there are no secluded and sacred places to practice as demanded by dhyana yoga, people have become feeble in concentration and mind is almost always impure and distracted. So even Arjuna, who is a great ascetic has rejected this yoga as impractical five thousand years ago. Things have got only worsened since then. So for us, the people of Kaliyuga, the process of dhyana yoga is next to impossible.

So Lord Chaitanya has given us the simplest form of attaining Krishna by chanting His holy names and engaging in pure devotional service (bhakti yoga). There is no prerequisite for bhakti yoga which is simultaneously simple and the most sublime among all processes of yoga. Even if one is impure, by engaging in bhakti-yoga, he can gradually purify himself. Moreover, Krishna Himself declares that among all the paths of yoga, one who is on the path of bhakti-yoga is the highest of all.

"yoginām api sarveṣāḿ
mad-gatenāntar-ātmanā
śraddhāvān bhajate yo māḿ
sa me yuktatamo mataḥ"
And of all yogīs, the one with great faith who always abides in Me, thinks of Me within himself, and renders transcendental loving service to Me — he is the most intimately united with Me in yoga and is the highest of all. That is My opinion.
BG 6.47

I hope this answers your question.
Hari Bol.
gopinath

Return to Bhagavad Gita