Scheduled Incarnation

Discuss about Srimad Bhagavatam.

Scheduled Incarnation

Postby AReddy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:58 am

Hare Krishna
PAMHO. AGSTP.

I got this question when I was reading bhagavatam. IT is from 2.7.5
In that sloka it is mentioned that four kumara are the lord's incarnations.
But in Prabhupad purport is said that these four are the knowledge of lord's incarnations.

Could you please clarify
Thank you
AReddy

Re: Scheduled Incarnation

Postby anandcaitanyadasa » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:56 am

I got this question when I was reading bhagavatam. IT is from 2.7.5
In that sloka it is mentioned that four kumara are the lord's incarnations.
But in Prabhupad purport is said that these four are the knowledge of lord's incarnations.

Translation for the verse 2.7.5 goes like this
To create different planetary systems I had to undergo austerities and penance, and the Lord, thus being pleased with me, incarnated in four sanas [Sanaka, Sanat-kumära, Sanandana and Sanätana].

In the Purport SP says,
"These four sanas were incarnations of the knowledge of the Supreme Lord, and as such they explained transcendental knowledge so explicitly that all the sages could at once assimilate this knowledge without the least difficulty."

Answer: There are different types of incarnations of the Lord. One among them is saktyavesha avatara. This point is explained by SP in the purport to SB 2.7.3 as "When the Lord descends personally or by His personal plenary expansions, such incarnations are called amsa, kala, guna, yuga and manvantara incarnations, and when the Lord's associates descend by the order of the Lord, such incarnations are called saktyavesa incarnations."

So Four Kumaras also come under the category of saktyavesa incarnations. vyasadev, Jesus Christ and many other also come under this category and are sent for a specific function. They are particularly empowered for exceuting that function. So they are called as incarnation of any particular potency/opulence of the Lord.
Here Four Kumaras are sent to re establish the transcendental knowledge which is lost, for which they are empowered by the Lord with His knowledge potency. So SP has stated that 4 kumaras are incarnations of the knowledge of the Supreme Lord.

Note:- In your question you have said, SP has written as " Knowledge of lord's incarnations", where as SP has written as "incarnations of the knowledge of the Supreme Lord ". They both are different. I hope you got it.

Kindly reply back if you are not clear!
anandcaitanyadasa

Return to Srimad Bhagavatam